Arrested for DUI in Colorado Springs, CO?
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offense, and a one-time mistake has the potential to catastrophically change your life forever. Along with fines, suspension or revocation of your driver’s license, and a possible jail sentence, having a DUI conviction on your record can also impact your life in other areas, such as your ability to get a job, secure a professional license, or obtain credit. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, you need the legal advice and representation of an experienced DUI attorney. We at the Gasper Law Group can help — contact our Colorado Springs law firm immediately.
How Our Colorado Springs DUI Defense Attorneys Can Help
A common misconception about being arrested for driving under the influence is that there is nothing an individual can do to prevent the consequences of the arrest. The truth is, having a skilled and knowledgeable DUI lawyer on your side can make the entire situation easier for you — and better for your future.
It is best to have the legal representation of a Colorado criminal defense attorney from the time you are taken into police custody. You have the right to seek legal representation before you are questioned by the police, who are trained in interrogation techniques. The DUI attorneys at the Gasper Law Group can advise you through the process and ensure that your answers do not hurt your case. Our DUI defense lawyers can help investigate your case and gather the right evidence to help defend you during a trial.
CAUTION: You do NOT have the right to speak with an attorney before making the choice between a breath test on the Intoxilyzer 9000, a blood test at the hospital, or a “refusal.” If you insist on speaking with an attorney before making that choice, the police can and will mark you as a “refusal” for DMV purposes.
Our Colorado Springs criminal defense attorneys are all former prosecutors, so we know how a prosecutor thinks and what types of evidence the prosecuting attorney will present to prove their driving under the influence case or driving while ability impaired case against you. Because we have this knowledge, we also have the skills and expertise needed to refute the evidence.
Much of the evidence used to get a conviction or to prevent a plea bargain can be examined and refuted by our Colorado Springs DUI attorneys. We will start with the police report to determine if anything in the report can substantiate a dismissal of the DUI charges based on a lack of probable cause or violation of your Constitutional rights. Based on the results of the sobriety test, we may be able to reduce the DUI charges, depending on your BAC level. We will review the body-worn camera footage or dash-cam footage to make sure that the officer’s report matches what actually happened.
We will show you why you do not have to simply believe the prosecutor when they tell you what you are going to get. Whether it is a reduction from enhanced penalties to a straight DUI; a questionable BAC level knocked down from DUI to driving while ability impaired (DWAI); a straight plea reduced to a deferred sentence; a DUI/DWAI reduced to a non-alcohol driving offense; or an outright dismissal, our criminal defense attorneys are dedicated to getting you the best possible outcome.
Colorado DUI Laws & Penalties
In Colorado, you may be charged with one or more offenses when it comes to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. These DUI charges include DUI, DUI per se (also called Driving with Excessive Alcohol Content or DEAC), and DWAI. When a person is found operating a motor vehicle with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.08% or higher, that individual can face DUI charges. A DUI per se charge can be tacked on even if the individual felt unimpaired and even if there’s no evidence of unsafe driving. If the BAC level is between 0.05% and 0.08%, the charge can be driving while ability impaired (DWAI). If the driver is under 21 years of age, they can face some DUI-like penalties with a BAC as low as 0.02%.
Each of these DUI charges has specific penalties which may include jail time, fines, revocation or suspension of driver’s license and driving privileges, points on your driver’s license, community service or public service, and/or alcohol education classes. The penalties will increase with subsequent arrests, so if you are facing DUI or DWAI charges in Colorado, it is important that you request a free initial consultation with our DUI defense attorneys as soon as possible to begin working on your case.
CAUTION: Colorado may count DUI convictions or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) convictions from other states against you, even if those charges have “aged off” your record elsewhere. There is no such thing as a conviction that is “too old” to count in Colorado.
Steps to Take Immediately After a DUI Charge
In the event that you are stopped by the police while operating a motor vehicle and you are found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, there are a few steps you need to know to ensure the best possible outcome for your DUI case. The traffic stops themselves can be a frightening or intimidating experience, but the more well-prepared you are, the less stressed you may feel.
The consequences of a DUI conviction can be steep and serious, so it is important that you do everything possible to help yourself even before you hire a Colorado Springs DUI lawyer to handle your case.
Here are some of the most important steps to take after a DUI charge:
- Consider the consequence of a “refusal” – The breath or blood test is designed to help the officer determine your BAC, and a refusal of the test can be grounds for suspension or revocation of your driver’s license, even if you “win” your case in court. However, you may always refuse the roadside field sobriety tests, which are supposedly voluntary.
- Contact a DUI lawyer – Because DUI cases are complex and involve a great deal of time and energy on a specialized topic, it is important that you hire an attorney from a law firm that specializes in handling these types of cases and is willing to offer a free consultation to determine if you even have a case.
- Post your bail – The local law enforcement policy is to release most DUI drivers without requiring them to post bail. If you are in a jurisdiction that takes DUI drivers into custody or if you are suspected of felony DUI, you may be required to post bail in order to be released until your court date. If you cannot pay the full bond amount yourself, you might want to hire a bail bondsman to post your bail for you.
- Request a DMV hearing – You will need to request a hearing with the DMV within 7 days of receiving the notice of revocation from the officer or the DMV. Without this request and hearing, your license will be automatically suspended. This will be critically important if your job requires you to drive.
- Get ready for your first court date – At the arraignment, you are able to enter your plea, but you should know that most jurisdictions will allow some time for negotiation before requiring that of you. A plea of guilty will prevent you from having a jury trial. It’s infinitely more difficult for an experienced Colorado Springs, CO, DUI attorney to help you after you’ve pled guilty than before your court date.
If you follow these steps and consult with the Gasper Law Group for DUI defense representation, you will be setting yourself up for the best possible outcome for your situation.
Contact Our Colorado Springs DUI Defense Attorneys
When it comes to DUI charges in Colorado Springs, CO, you should not take this situation lightly. The penalties for these types of charges can be severe and have long-lasting negative effects on your life. For this reason, it is important that you contact an experienced DUI defense attorney as soon as possible to begin discussing your case and strategizing your defense.
At the Gasper Law Group, our DUI defense law firm is here to help those who have been charged with DUI and DWAI. From examining the field sobriety test results to making a plea deal to avoid a long prison sentence and everything in between, our attorneys are dedicated to helping our clients get the best possible outcome and defend their rights as citizens according to Colorado state law. Contact our Colorado Springs DUI lawyers for a free initial consultation.