Colorado Springs Embezzlement Defense Lawyers
Fiercely Defending Against Embezzlement in Colorado
Embezzlement is one of the most common white-collar crimes, and a conviction can result in serious criminal penalties. If you or a loved one is facing charges for embezzlement, securing an experienced defense is essential to defend your rights and safeguard your freedom. At The Gasper Law Group, our embezzlement defense lawyers can work tirelessly to reduce or dismiss the embezzlement charges against you in Colorado Springs.
Our skilled negotiators have an in-depth understanding of criminal law to help you navigate the intricacies of criminal court while avoiding potential pitfalls. Our team understands how daunting it can be to face such serious allegations, which is why our determined attorneys are committed to defending your rights.
Contact us online to learn how The Gasper Law Group can help you avoid the life-altering penalties of an embezzlement conviction.
Penalties for Embezzlement in Colorado
The criminal penalties for embezzlement vary based on the value of what was embezzled. There is a wide range of penalties that can result from an embezzlement conviction. These include:
Embezzlement misdemeanors are punishable by the following penalties:
- Petty Offense: Embezzled property totaling less than $300 is punishable by up to 10 days in jail and up to $300 in fines.
- Class 2 Misdemeanor: Embezzled property totaling $300 to $1,000 is punishable by up to 120 days in jail and up to $750 in fines.
- Class 1 Misdemeanor: Embezzled property totaling $1,000 to $2,000 is punishable by up to 364 days in jail and up to $1,000 in fines.
Embezzlement can also be charged as a felony. The penalties for a felony embezzlement conviction generally include:
- Class 6 Felony: Embezzled property totaling $2,000 to $5,000 is punishable by 12 to 18 months in prison and up to $100,000 in fines.
- Class 5 Felony: Embezzled property totaling $5,000 to $20,000 is punishable by 1 to 3 years in prison and up to $100,000 in fines.
- Class 4 Felony: Embezzled property totaling $20,000 to $100,000 is punishable by 2 to 6 years in prison and up to $500,000 in fines.
- Class 3 Felony: Embezzled property totaling $100,000 to $1 million is punishable by 4 to 12 years in prison and up to $750,000 in fines.
- Class 2 Felony: Embezzled property totaling $1 million or more is punishable by 8 to 24 years in prison and up to $1,000,000 in fines.
For felony embezzlement convictions, defendants can also face up to 5 years of mandatory parole.
What Is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement can be charged as one of two crimes in Colorado depending on the unique circumstances involved. These include:
Embezzling by Theft
Under Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) §18-4-401 and 403, embezzlement can be charged as a theft crime. This offense is committed when a person “knowingly obtains, retains, or exercises control over anything of value of another without authorization or by threat or deception.”
Additionally, the defendant will:
- Intend to deprive the other party permanently of the use or benefit of the thing of value;
- Knowingly use, conceal, or abandon the thing of value in a way that deprives the other party permanently of its use; or
- Retain the thing of value for over 72 hours after the agreed-upon time of return.
Various acts can lead to embezzlement by theft charges. Common examples include:
- Misappropriation of funds from an employer or client
- Unauthorized transfer of company or client assets to personal accounts
- Falsifying financial records or manipulating accounting systems
- Diverting cash payments or checks intended for the employer or client
- Selling company or client property for personal gain without authorization
- Creating fraudulent invoices or billing schemes to receive payments
- Using company credit cards or expense accounts for personal expenses
- Manipulating payroll systems to obtain unauthorized salary or bonus payments
- Illegally obtaining and exploiting trade secrets or intellectual property for personal gain
- Creating ghost employees or fictitious vendors to siphon money from the organization
I used the Gasper Law Group when I was going through my divorce and child custody case. I got the outcome I wanted, Carrie Kelly and Kimberly Lucas made my life 10x easier considering i didn’t know what I was doing. They were patient, and caring and even made me laugh a few times. I highly recommend you use them to make your life easier. I couldn’t ask for a better team! I’m now happily divorced and got my kiddo 50/50! You guys rock and if anything comes up in the future, I’ll be sure to use you guys! Thanks so much gasper law group for the fast and professional services!- Micheala E.
I don't write many reviews! Gasper Law Group proved to be worthy of my highest recommendation. Everyone at some time will need some legal service, but where to go. I want you to know Gasper Law Group can help you save what you might stand to lose. I really want you to know Christine S. is the finest Family Law Attorney you will find. Christine is experienced, committed to her clients, and will help save what whats most important to you. I would so like the leadership of Gasper Law Group to know how fortunate they are to have a team member of her Caliber. If you need legal help use Gasper, and ask for Christine I am thankful I did!!!- Eric D.
Caryn Adams took such good care of me threw out my legal situation and was constantly keeping me in the loop! Couldn’t ask for better representation!- Ryan L.
Caryn Adams, Stacey Sadler and the rest of the team at the Gasper law group are an amazing, courteous, compassionate, and very helpful group of talented individuals. I was in a bind and during my consultation I explained my situation and they went above and beyond my expectations. They took care of my case in a very timely manner and made it feel like my traffic ticket was their number one and only priority. I have never been treated with such respect and compassion. I definitely recommend talking to them about any of your legal needs.- Scott R.
Christine, Kris, and Ebony are amazing and compassionate. We enjoyed every interaction. Gasper Law firm keeps appropriate communication and not in excess which keeps our cost low. We are so very grateful. Even if an unexpected turn in our guardianship hearing they remained diligent to ensure things were done in a timely manner. Thank you so much! You helped complete our family and we are forever grateful.- Misty M.
I’m not one to have an extensive experience with law firms or lawyers and court in general. However, the professionalism, guidance, and candor I’ve received from each person in this law firm have been beyond reproach. Anytime, I mean, anytime, I’ve had a question about my case and the way forward, I was met with a friendly and constructive conversation about my case. There was never a doubt in my mind, that I made the right choice when I selected this law firm to represent me. Caryn and Stacie have been a wonderful blessing to my life and my legal proceedings. If you are looking for a no-BS law firm that has a significant reputation in the Springs area, I absolutely recommend this one. Even though I hope to not have to deal with this again, fingers crossed and every lucky charm, I’d trust this law firm with my representation to handle the hard stuff and give me ease with court proceedings. Thank you all for what you do and have done for me, my family, and my career. Bless you all.- Steve S.
I really want to Thank Jack, Emily, and Therese for all their hard work taking care of my sister Pamela Bellos’s estate , they answered every call, every email from me in the long process of this probate and they all was very professional- Karen B.
I dug myself a deep hole and didn’t have much hope or luck with the attorney I used before. I called Gasper law group and Caryn Adams was my attorney that took charge of everything. I couldn’t have asked for anything better the outcome she made possible is everything I wanted. She is great at her job and takes cases seriously … don’t have much hope leave it to Caryn she will change that. Thanks Gasper law group you’re the best!- Mike L.
Embezzling of Public Property
According to C.R.S. §18-8-407, “embezzling of public property” is the misappropriation or unauthorized use of public property by a public servant. This is considered a separate crime from embezzling by theft. Consider these common acts that can lead to embezzlement charges:
- Diverting public funds for personal use
- Misusing public procurement processes for personal gain
- Falsifying records to hide the misappropriation of public property
- Selling or disposing of public property without proper authorization
- Using public resources, such as vehicles or equipment, for personal purposes
- Accepting bribes or kickbacks in exchange for misusing or misappropriating public property
- Using confidential information obtained through public service for personal benefit
- Embezzling funds or property from government agencies, departments, or programs
- Fraudulently obtaining reimbursements or reimbursements for personal expenses
- Allowing others to use public property without proper authorization or compensation
Defending Against Embezzlement in Colorado
When your future hangs in the balance, it's imperative to secure an experienced defense. Fortunately, our embezzlement defense lawyers have handled thousands of cases in Colorado Springs and beyond, making us well-equipped to defend your rights and fortify your case with relevant evidence to make it as compelling as possible.
There are various defense strategies against embezzlement, including:
- Lack of intent: If the prosecution cannot prove your intent to commit a crime, our attorneys can use this strategy to fight for the dismissal of the embezzlement charges against you.
- Duress: If you were coerced to commit a crime under duress, our lawyers can fortify your case with solid evidence to support your claim.
- Incapacity: If you weren’t of sound body or mind at the time of the offense, our attorneys can defend your rights by identifying this incapacity and presenting it compellingly in court.
Contact an Embezzlement Attorney in Colorado Springs
Our experienced embezzlement defense lawyers have nearly 20 years of experience defending the accused. With thousands of cases handled, you can count on The Gasper Law Group to deliver the exceptional representation you deserve to fight the life-changing penalties of a criminal conviction. From defending against DUI/DWAI charges to parole and probation violations, our seasoned attorneys have the extensive knowledge and diverse experience to evaluate each client’s unique needs and employ an effective defense on their behalf.