Good people make mistakes, and sometimes even innocent people are wrongly accused. Assault cases in Colorado may simply start with flaring tempers or self defense but, once convicted, they can turn your world upside down. A Colorado Springs criminal defense lawyer at The Gasper Law Group can give you the best chance at either a favorable plea bargain or a full dismissal or acquittal at trial. To schedule a free case evaluation with one of our criminal defense attorneys, contact us today.
Colorado Assault Law
In Colorado, an assault is any unlawful contact that results in an injury to another person. These offenses can be treated as a felony or misdemeanor, depending on who was involved as well as the severity of the actions. The severity of the offenses ranges from first degree assault (which is the most serious) to third-degree assault (which is the least serious). Regardless of the type of assault involved, an assault charge is a serious matter, and you should consult with an attorney immediately.
From domestic violence disturbances between two well-acquainted people to altercations with a stranger in an alleyway or bar, your defense is only as good as the commitment of your attorney beside you in court. Gasper Law Group is there for you. Visit our Criminal Defense FAQs for more information.
Consequences of an Assault Conviction in Colorado
If you are accused of assault in the Colorado area, beware that there are both legal and extralegal consequences. Potential legal ramifications for an assault conviction include:
- Jail time (varying in length, but as little as six months and as much as 24 years)
- Significant fines
- Anger management classes
- An order, such as a restraining order, that requires you to stay away from the assault victim
Other consequences reach far beyond just the courtroom. Some specific issues can arise as a result of an assault conviction, and they can last longer and have a significant impact on your life. These include:
- A criminal record that precedes you – Assault convictions may show up on your public record, which means that it can be found by anyone that knows where to look or who has enough curiosity.
- Sanctions imposed by your work or school – If you are currently attending school or employed, a conviction could result in sanctions being imposed on you or, worse, expulsion or termination.
- Difficulty in getting a job – Employers today are making background checks a part of the hiring process. Conviction of a crime such as assault can raise a red flag for a potential employer, which may make it very difficult to secure employment in the future.
- Difficulty renting an apartment – Similar to employers, more and more landlords are conducting criminal background checks on potential renters of their property. They might not allow someone that has been convicted of a violent crime to rent their apartment or house.
- Inability to work, volunteer, or be around children – If your crime was perceived as violent in nature, certain institutions will take steps to prevent you from being near children.
How a Colorado Springs Assault Attorney Can Help
The attorneys at The Gasper Law Group will do whatever it takes to protect your rights and freedom so that you don’t have to suffer the consequences of an assault conviction. We are able to assess the weaknesses in the prosecution’s case as well as prepare a solid defense that uses such tactics as self defense, defense of others, provocation, parental discipline, use of force when there was no other option, etc.
Our criminal defense team is there with you at every critical stage of the process. We draw upon years of combined experience in investigation, case analysis, plea negotiation, sentencing mitigation, and courtroom trials so that you can get back to your life after an assault accusation. There is no substitute for an experienced, talented, and aggressive trial lawyer at your side.
Contact Our Colorado Springs Criminal Defense Attorneys
For help with an assault case in Colorado Springs or any surrounding areas, contact The Gasper Law Group today to speak with one of our attorneys!