Colorado Springs Drug Trafficking Defense Lawyer
“Trafficking” refers to the act of transferring and moving large amounts of illegal drugs in order to distribute them, often across state lines. If you are suspected of being involved in any drug trafficking scheme, you may face serious charges for drug distribution in Colorado. This is true even if you weren’t driving the car with the drugs or ever actually handling the drugs (known as drug possession), as simply being involved in the facilitation of the operation can be enough to face serious criminal allegations.
If you have been arrested or believe that you may be under investigation for drug trafficking, you should contact an experienced Colorado Springs criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. At the Gasper Law Group, we have represented clients in complex drug cases, so please call for more information about how we can help you today.
Penalties for Drug Distribution in Colorado
Colorado takes the sale and distribution of any type of illegal drugs very seriously, even for marijuana. The possible penalties that come with a distribution conviction can vary widely based on the type of drug involved and the quantity of drugs. Depending on the specific allegations against you, drug trafficking can result in the following types of charges and potential penalties:
- Class 1 Drug Misdemeanor – 6 to 18 months imprisonment, fines up to $5,000
- Class 3 Drug Felony – 2 to 6 years imprisonment, fines up to $500,000
- Class 2 Drug Felony – 4 to 16 years imprisonment, fines up to $750,000
- Class 1 Drug Felony – 8 to 32 years imprisonment, fines up to $1 million
The above maximum sentences can become even more serious based on other factors, including any prior drug convictions on your record or whether the drugs were distributed near a school or similar location.
How a Colorado Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You
If you are suspected of being part of a drug trafficking scheme, it is imperative to be represented by a highly experienced drug crimes defense attorney as soon as possible. Our attorneys can protect your rights throughout every step of the case, by doing the following and more:
- Ensure police do not violate your rights against unlawful search and seizure during an investigation
- Represent you during police questioning to ensure you do not answer any questions that may incriminate you
- Advise you of your options to plead not guilty or guilty and the implications of each
- Represent you in all court hearings in front of the judge
- Negotiate with the prosecutor for a possible favorable plea bargain
- Raise all possible legal defenses in your case
- Represent you at trial, if necessary
Contact a Colorado Springs Drug Trafficking Defense Attorney Today
Anyone facing serious drug charges needs a skilled criminal defense lawyer with specific experience handling drug-related cases. If you are suspected of drug trafficking or have already been charged in or around Colorado Springs, please contact the Gasper Law Group as soon as possible to get in touch with an experienced criminal defense attorney in Colorado Springs. We are here to help through every stage of your case.