Colorado Springs Indecent Exposure Defense Attorneys
Defending Against Indecent Exposure Charges in Colorado
At The Gasper Law Group, we understand how terrifying it can be to face accusations of sexual misconduct. When it comes to indecent exposure, defendants can find themselves facing harsh criminal consequences for acts they perceived as legal or harmless at the time. That’s why our Colorado Springs indecent exposure attorneys are here to defend your rights and pursue a just outcome in criminal court.
Our seasoned defense lawyers have handled thousands of cases for the accused throughout Colorado. With nearly twenty years of experience, you can trust our firm to prioritize your unique needs from start to finish while aggressively fighting to reduce or dismiss the charges against you. If you’ve been accused of indecent exposure or a related sex offense, look no further than The Gasper Law Group for the fierce defense you deserve.
What Constitutes Indecent Exposure?
According to Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) §18-7-302, a person commits indecent exposure when they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to the view of any person under circumstances in which the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the other person with the intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desire of any person, or
- Knowingly performs an act of masturbation in the view of another person under circumstances in which such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the other person.
“Masturbation” is defined as real or stimulated touching of the genitals or pubic area. Regardless of whether the defendant was clothed, they can still face charges for indecent exposure, making it vital to consult with an experienced indecent exposure defense attorney in Colorado Springs to avoid the lasting penalties of an indecent exposure conviction.
If you’re facing indecent exposure charges in Colorado Springs, a strong defense is crucial to avoid serious penalties. Contact us online to discuss your case.
Indecent Exposure & Sex Offender Registration
A criminal conviction for indecent exposure can also result in mandatory sex offender registration in Colorado, making it all the more crucial to secure an experienced defense from a fierce indecent exposure attorney.
Being a registered sex offender can have lasting and drastic consequences in the lives of convicted offenders, such as:
- Restricted living options: Registered sex offenders often face severe restrictions on where they can live. Many jurisdictions have residency laws that prohibit sex offenders from living within a certain distance of schools, parks, and other areas where children may be present. This can make finding suitable housing incredibly difficult.
- Social stigmas: The social stigma associated with being a registered sex offender can be debilitating. This can result in isolation, strained relationships, and significant psychological stress.
- Limited employment opportunities: Many employers are hesitant to hire registered sex offenders, significantly limiting their employment opportunities. Some professional licenses may also be revoked or denied, restricting career advancement possibilities.
- Restricted travel: Registered sex offenders may face restrictions on their ability to travel, both within the United States and internationally. This can impact personal and professional life, limiting opportunities for vacations and work-related travel.
- Loss of custody or visitation rights: In some cases, being a registered sex offender can impact paternity rights and mothers’ rights, resulting in the loss of custody or visitation rights for those convicted with children.
- Public disclosure: Individuals who are required to register as sex offenders are required to disclose their personal information online, including their name, address, and photograph, to the public. As you can imagine, this can exacerbate the social stigma and difficulties in finding housing or employment for registered sex offenders.
Facing allegations of indecent exposure can carry serious weight in criminal court. It's crucial to consult with a qualified Colorado Springs indecent exposure defense attorney to help you navigate the complexities of your case and defend your rights to avoid lasting penalties.
The Gasper Law Group was fantastic. From the start, they treated me incredibly well and were very open about everything from my situation. They were incredibly attentive to me and my case and made sure I fully understood everything while supporting me in every way they could. Caryn was AMAZING in handling my case. Her knowledge, confidence, and attentiveness were second to none. I would recommend them to anyone for any situation.- Jason E.
I’m not one to have an extensive experience with law firms or lawyers and court in general. However, the professionalism, guidance, and candor I’ve received from each person in this law firm have been beyond reproach. Anytime, I mean, anytime, I’ve had a question about my case and the way forward, I was met with a friendly and constructive conversation about my case. There was never a doubt in my mind, that I made the right choice when I selected this law firm to represent me. Caryn and Stacie have been a wonderful blessing to my life and my legal proceedings. If you are looking for a no-BS law firm that has a significant reputation in the Springs area, I absolutely recommend this one. Even though I hope to not have to deal with this again, fingers crossed and every lucky charm, I’d trust this law firm with my representation to handle the hard stuff and give me ease with court proceedings. Thank you all for what you do and have done for me, my family, and my career. Bless you all.- Steve S.
Caryn Adams and her team are hands down the BEST. I don't think I would have made it through what I went through without her by my side. My charges were dropped and we walked away with all parental rights/custody and a restraining order against the other party.- Avarie J.
I, unfortunately, was involved with two separate situations within a few years of each other, which left me in quite a bind both times. I was lucky enough to have Caryn assist me in both cases and was absolutely floored with the knowledge and expertise that not only she carries, but the firm as a whole. One of the best, if not the best lawyers I've ever come across. Extremely nice and very honest. I was able to resolve my situations with minimal impact and continue my life without fear of being held back.- Former Client
Caryn Adams, Stacey Sadler and the rest of the team at the Gasper law group are an amazing, courteous, compassionate, and very helpful group of talented individuals. I was in a bind and during my consultation I explained my situation and they went above and beyond my expectations. They took care of my case in a very timely manner and made it feel like my traffic ticket was their number one and only priority. I have never been treated with such respect and compassion. I definitely recommend talking to them about any of your legal needs.- Scott R.
Gasper Law Group is great to work with. I recently did Estate Planning and they were awesome. Explained everything thoroughly. Emily, Jack, Therese , Holly, and Emily are all very professional. If you need any Legal advice or assistance reach out to the Gasper Law Group. 5 star service.- Ruby D.
I dug myself a deep hole and didn’t have much hope or luck with the attorney I used before. I called Gasper law group and Caryn Adams was my attorney that took charge of everything. I couldn’t have asked for anything better the outcome she made possible is everything I wanted. She is great at her job and takes cases seriously … don’t have much hope leave it to Caryn she will change that. Thanks Gasper law group you’re the best!- Mike L.
Christine, Kris, and Ebony are amazing and compassionate. We enjoyed every interaction. Gasper Law firm keeps appropriate communication and not in excess which keeps our cost low. We are so very grateful. Even if an unexpected turn in our guardianship hearing they remained diligent to ensure things were done in a timely manner. Thank you so much! You helped complete our family and we are forever grateful.- Misty M.
Common Examples of Indecent Exposure
Indecent exposure can encompass various acts. Common examples of indecent exposure include:
- Masturbating publicly or privately within the view of others
- Engaging in sexual acts in public places where others may see them
- Flashing or exposing oneself to another person without their consent
- Urinating in public in a manner that intentionally exposes oneself to others
- Sunbathing nude or semi-nude in a public place or within view of the public
- Performing sexual acts in a non-designated area, such as a public park or a private residence's front yard
Remember, state law considers any act of exposure intended to cause affront or alarm or for sexual gratification as indecent exposure. If you’re facing allegations, it’s imperative to consult with a Colorado Springs indecent exposure attorney as soon as possible to avoid the lasting penalties of a criminal conviction.
Penalties for Indecent Exposure in Colorado
From extensive prison time to mandatory sex offender registration, an indecent exposure conviction carries harsh penalties. The seriousness of indecent exposure penalties can vary based on the nature and severity of the offenses, including whether or not the defendant has prior convictions on their record.
Indecent exposure is considered a class 1 misdemeanor. Generally, this offense is punishable by:
- Up to 18 months in jail
- Up to $5,000 in fines
Indecent Exposure with Prior Convictions
It’s important to understand that defendants with two or more prior convictions for indecent exposure or related sex offenses can face enhanced penalties in criminal court. In these cases, the accused can face class 6 felony charges punishable by:
- Up to $100,000 in fines
- Up to 18 months in prison with mandatory 1-year parole
Indecent Exposure vs. Public Indecency
Although similar to indecent exposure, public indecency is a different crime under the law. The penalties for public indecency are codified in C.R.S. §18-7-301, which defines the offense as “knowingly exposing your genitals for the purpose of sexual arousal or satisfaction.”
In Colorado, public indecency is generally charged as a class 1 misdemeanor that carries less serious penalties than indecent exposure. The primary difference between the two is whether or not genitals were displayed during the act. Penalties for public indecency include:
- Up to 10 days in jail
- Up to $300 in fines
Contact a Colorado Springs Defense Attorney
Our aggressive criminal defense attorneys at The Gasper Law Group have extensive experience representing the accused in a variety of criminal cases, from DUI and DWAI defense to parole and probation violations. If you’re facing sex crime allegations or other criminal charges in Colorado Springs or the surrounding area, our seasoned lawyers have the in-depth knowledge and skillset required to fiercely defend your rights while working to restore your freedom.
Regardless of the charges you’re facing, securing a fortified defense is imperative to obtaining a favorable outcome in criminal court. That’s why our firm is committed to delivering the experienced representation our clients deserve to defend their rights and clear their name. Our dedicated defense attorneys can fight tirelessly to drop or reduce the penalties you’re facing.