Colorado Springs Foster Care Adoption Attorneys
Helping You Expand Your Family in Colorado
Adoption can be an exciting and emotional time for families. No matter what led you to this moment, providing a safe, loving home to a child in need is one of the most selfless things families can do. However, like any family law process, the adoption process can be confusing and complex, even for foster care families with experience in family court.
At The Gasper Law Group, our foster care adoption lawyers have handled thousands of cases in Colorado Springs and the surrounding area, equipping us with extensive knowledge of the adoption process. Our firm can help you and your loved ones explore all the adoption options available to you to determine if foster care adoption is the best path forward for your family.
How to Adopt a Foster Child in Colorado
The first step to any adoption is making the decision to grow your family. This can be an exciting time for prospective adoptive parents, and isn’t a commitment that any family should take lightly. After making the selfless decision to adopt, it’s important for families to follow each step in the process meticulously.
To adopt a foster child, couples must take the following steps:
- Consult with a trusted adoption lawyer: Seeking sound counsel from a qualified foster care adoption attorney is essential, as they can provide invaluable guidance and support to you and your loved ones throughout the intricacies of the process by ensuring each step is completed correctly and on time to minimize costs and wait times.
- Complete an application: Next, families should fill out and file an application through a licensed adoption agency. Our lawyers can guide you through the process to ensure all necessary details are included and accurately represented.
- Attend pre-service training: State law requires adoptive parents to attend pre-service training. This helps prepare families for the joys and challenges of adoption. Our attorneys can equip you with additional resources as needed to help you navigate this training as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Pass a home study: A home study is an in-depth review of your home, lifestyle, and background. Our firm can help adoptive parents prepare for this crucial step by advising on potential issues that may affect the approval of their applications.
- Get approved: After passing the home study, the next step is receiving approval to adopt. Our lawyers can guide you through this waiting period while keeping you informed about the status of your application.
- Placement: Once approved, the placement process begins. This entails matching parents with a foster child who fits well with your family. Our lawyers can offer you and your loved ones sound counsel throughout this emotional process.
- Post-placement supervision: After placement, adoptive parents can expect regular visits from a caseworker to ensure the child is adjusting well. Our attorneys can help you prepare for these visits and understand what to expect.
- Finalize the adoption: The final step in the foster care adoption process is the formal legalization of the adoption in court. Our Colorado Springs foster care adoption attorneys can help you navigate family court and represent your best interests by ensuring all legal documentation is filed correctly and on time.
I dug myself a deep hole and didn’t have much hope or luck with the attorney I used before. I called Gasper law group and Caryn Adams was my attorney that took charge of everything. I couldn’t have asked for anything better the outcome she made possible is everything I wanted. She is great at her job and takes cases seriously … don’t have much hope leave it to Caryn she will change that. Thanks Gasper law group you’re the best!- Mike L.
I, unfortunately, was involved with two separate situations within a few years of each other, which left me in quite a bind both times. I was lucky enough to have Caryn assist me in both cases and was absolutely floored with the knowledge and expertise that not only she carries, but the firm as a whole. One of the best, if not the best lawyers I've ever come across. Extremely nice and very honest. I was able to resolve my situations with minimal impact and continue my life without fear of being held back.- Former Client
Gasper Law Group is great to work with. I recently did Estate Planning and they were awesome. Explained everything thoroughly. Emily, Jack, Therese , Holly, and Emily are all very professional. If you need any Legal advice or assistance reach out to the Gasper Law Group. 5 star service.- Ruby D.
I’m not one to have an extensive experience with law firms or lawyers and court in general. However, the professionalism, guidance, and candor I’ve received from each person in this law firm have been beyond reproach. Anytime, I mean, anytime, I’ve had a question about my case and the way forward, I was met with a friendly and constructive conversation about my case. There was never a doubt in my mind, that I made the right choice when I selected this law firm to represent me. Caryn and Stacie have been a wonderful blessing to my life and my legal proceedings. If you are looking for a no-BS law firm that has a significant reputation in the Springs area, I absolutely recommend this one. Even though I hope to not have to deal with this again, fingers crossed and every lucky charm, I’d trust this law firm with my representation to handle the hard stuff and give me ease with court proceedings. Thank you all for what you do and have done for me, my family, and my career. Bless you all.- Steve S.
Caryn Adams, Stacey Sadler and the rest of the team at the Gasper law group are an amazing, courteous, compassionate, and very helpful group of talented individuals. I was in a bind and during my consultation I explained my situation and they went above and beyond my expectations. They took care of my case in a very timely manner and made it feel like my traffic ticket was their number one and only priority. I have never been treated with such respect and compassion. I definitely recommend talking to them about any of your legal needs.- Scott R.
Highly professional team of attorneys and paralegal staff who work hard to reach the best outcomes for their clients. A courteous, respectful, and efficient group in all phases and aspects of due diligence, and discovery with effective preparation of cases entrusted to them. The partner representing me, Ms. Caryn Adams was truly impressive in her knowledge of the law, her empathy, and her care for getting the best possible resolution in my favor in pre-trial negotiation. And I have no doubt she and her team would be just as dedicated and efficient in more complex defense situations. I recommend them highly and without reservation in all areas of the law in which they are eminently qualified.- Salah H.
I really want to Thank Jack, Emily, and Therese for all their hard work taking care of my sister Pamela Bellos’s estate , they answered every call, every email from me in the long process of this probate and they all was very professional- Karen B.
The Gasper Law Group was fantastic. From the start, they treated me incredibly well and were very open about everything from my situation. They were incredibly attentive to me and my case and made sure I fully understood everything while supporting me in every way they could. Caryn was AMAZING in handling my case. Her knowledge, confidence, and attentiveness were second to none. I would recommend them to anyone for any situation.- Jason E.
Understanding Foster Care Adoptions in Colorado
A foster care adoption occurs when a child in the foster care system is adopted by their foster parents. The goal is to provide a permanent, loving home for children who cannot safely return to their birth families.
However, because foster care adoptions involve adopting a child who is currently a dependent of the state and in the foster care system, this type of adoption can entail unique complexities for adoptive parents. Common challenges include:
- Histories of abuse and trauma: Foster children often come from abusive homes. Due to the high rate of trauma among foster children, family courts must take great care to ensure the child will be in capable hands, such as having access to trauma-informed care and counseling services.
- Visitation with birth parents: In some cases, the court will require continued visitation with the child’s biological parents after the adoption, which can lead to additional stress and conflict between families.
- Higher risk of adoption disruption: Sadly, foster care adoptions are more likely to disrupt than infant adoptions. It’s important for adoptive parents to educate themselves about attachment disorders and have an adequate support system to best care for the child’s needs.
- Higher rates of special needs: Many foster children have physical disabilities, medical needs, or learning disabilities that require additional care and expenses.
- Eligibility for adoption assistance: Navigating adoption assistance, subsidies, and other support programs is complex but vital for many families adopting from foster care.
Who Is Eligible to Adopt a Foster Child?
In Colorado, there are important eligibility requirements that prospective foster care adoptive parents must meet to adopt a foster child. These criteria ensure that the child's future environment is safe, supportive, and conducive to their overall well-being. Below are some key requirements for foster care adoptions:
- Age: The adoptive parent(s) must be at least 21 years of age.
- Background check: The adoptive parent(s) must pass a background check.
- Parental rights: The foster child must be eligible for adoption. Only children whose biological parents’ rights have been terminated are eligible for foster care adoptions. The parental rights can be voluntarily surrendered by the biological parent(s) or involuntarily ordered by the court.
- Home study: The adoptive parent(s) must pass a home study, including the submission of required paperwork and passing an in-home inspection to ensure the living environment is safe and suitable for the child.
- Financial security: The adoptive parent(s) must be financially stable. It’s crucial to consult with your adoption attorney and case worker to ensure you have the necessary documentation and assets to continue in the foster care adoption process.
Helping You Build & Protect Your Family in Colorado
Our compassionate attorneys at The Gasper Law Group have handled thousands of cases throughout Colorado Springs. With an in-depth knowledge of family law and nearly 20 years of experience serving families, you can trust our knowledgeable advocates to identify and prioritize your unique needs from start to finish. Whether you’re preparing for a high-asset divorce, child custody dispute, or a temporary orders hearing, our skilled family lawyers can guide your steps wisely in family court and advocate for the favorable resolution you desire.
Our foster care adoption lawyers help families navigate the adoption process in Colorado Springs. Contact us online to schedule a free consultation.